Posted by Admin on July, 30, 2020
The reflex hammer is one of the oldest diagnostic tools used by doctors and physicians. It is still used today, and its most common use is to check the "knee jerk" reaction during regular yearly examinations. It can also be used in other areas of the body to check reflexes. It was a design created from another common tool at the time, a percussion hammer.
The percussion hammer was originally used to check the chest. Physicians quickly realized that these tools were not exactly what was needed to do the job for tendon reflexes. The device was redesigned and the neurological reflex hammer came into existence.
Why a reflex hammer is an important tool for the doctors?
Using a reflex hammer to test reflexes helps to gauge the possibility of developing health issues with the nervous system. There is a range of response that is considered to be within normal boundaries. Any type of reflex action those results from the use of the hammer that is either less than or more than this range can indicate the presence of one type of disorder or another.
To use the hammer, the physician will swing the device at a tendon, using an arching angle, making light contact. At that point, the doctor will make note of the type of reflexive response that is made and chart the activity. If the first swing indicates some sort of possible health problem, a second swing will be conducted, to see if the results are the same.
Different types of reflex hammers
The Taylor or tomahawk reflex hammer- It comprises of a triangular rubber component which is joined to a flat metallic handle.
The Queen Square reflex hammer- It was designed for use for Nervous Diseases (now the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery.
The Trömner reflex hammer- This model is shaped like a two-headed mallet. The larger mallet is used to elicit tendon stretch reflexes, and the smaller mallet is used to elicit percussion myotonia.
Material used to manufacture reflex hammer: As a reflex action is something which is a core function of the reflex hammer therefore material used to manufacture must be flexible enough like.
Common uses of the reflex hammer
• Reflex hammers are specifically used to activate deep tendon reflexes, which are associated with muscle stretches.
• The main reflexes tested are the biceps and brachioradialis, the triceps, the patellar and the ankle.
• These reflexes are used to test the health of both the central and peripheral nervous system and they can serve as a warning sign of neuromuscular disease.
• Doctors look for both overactive and underactive reflexes, as either side of the spectrum can be an indication of a health problem.
Qualities of a good reflex hammer
• Heavier weight makes it easier to elicit reflexes
• Has Babinski's pointed
• Has cutaneous brush
Qualities of an ideal reflex hammer manufacturer in India
• Better Raw materials and finished product inventory
• Must have Incoming quality control, in-process quality control and pre-shipment quality control procedures
• Equipped with R&D capabilities (important if you plan to develop new products)
• Better Machine and equipment maintenance and calibration
• Qualifies with certifications or licensing (e.g. business license, export license)
This entry was posted on July, 30, 2020 at 18 : 05 pm and is filed under Reflex Hammer. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response from your own site.